Sunday, June 5, 2011

R n R

It's June and unseasonably cool. It rained last week and again this weekend. The star jasmine which usually blooms in April is just beginning to bud. The lavender which typically scents the air in May is starting to show color in its buds. Spring's arrival is slow and prolonged.

Rhubarb is available. I've never prepared it before, but I knew exactly what I wanted from it, thanks to C.Ferber's "Mes Confitures".
This recipe takes less effort than many others in the book: just macerate overnight, then cook it in the morning. Need to remember to have fewer distractions next time, though.  I knocked a jar over towards me while filling it, and I immediately leaned forward in a lame attempt to salvage the spill, yet much of the hot mass glopped onto the floor. Gah.






Rhubarb and Rosemary Preserves, 5C instead of 6C
I paused to think about priorities. Then I finished filling the jars and I put them in the water bath before I started to clean the drippy mess on me and the floor.

The flavor combination is incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment